When visiting a back-to school reunion (1982?) we visited the museum in the old school. There were two BSA “Bantam” motorcycles. These were purchased new about 1949 -from Fred Forbes-by Don Haynes & myself, both employed in the SA Railways, Don a porter, myself the Freight Clerk. Trans-shipping from Broad gauge to narrow gauge was done at Terowie, Peterborough was the SAR administration/loco sheds etc. for a wide area covering to Quorn,where the Commonwealth Railways then controlled to Alice Springs (Admin centre Port Augusta) and to Silverton NSW. Orroroo was a depot for townships West with a daily Mail Run. The butter factory at Orroroo supplied the butter by rail North to Marree & beyond.
The Cunningham family moved to Orroroo in 1923 when Leo managed & later purchased the Blacksmith shop from F Forbes & Sons, Vic took over the Blacksmith shop & Ruby & Leo moved to Wallaroo because 0f Leo’s health in 1948. The family were very involved within the community, particularly the Orroroo East area where a very successful Tennis Club was created with regular fund raising dances held.
Times were tough in the 30’s & 40’s but we didn’t know any different. The Family had an inbred hard work ethic & community spirit from their parents that was created in Orroroo & has continued throughout their lives, thanks Orroroo. Vic was the last family member to leave Orroroo in 50’s. Leo passed away in 1966, Ruby in 1996 aged 95 leaving 106 direct descendants, Don died 1986 aged 58 in Adelaide, Bernie in 2005 aged 84 at Banora Point NSW, Gladys 89 is living at Wallaroo, Vic 86 lives at Balaklava, Noreen 84 is at Mildura, Glen 78 is on Gold Coast & Molly 75 lives in Adelaide.
Older family members have maintained their Orroroo contacts to this day.